Melissa and Joey

Talk about movies and TV...errrrr

Re: Melissa and Joey

Postby miketheknife » August 12th, 2010, 1:49 pm

"manny". That's worse than awful. It's gayer than hell and shitty also. I feel unclean just for knowing that nickname exists.
miketheknife
TG Supporter
TG Supporter

Postby Texas Pete » August 18th, 2010, 9:11 pm

Lee

I expect a review out of you in this thread after you watch this.
Texas Pete
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby RayRay » August 19th, 2010, 8:12 am

Texas Pete wrote:Lee

I expect a review out of you in this thread after you watch this.

It's sitting in my DVR friend.
when I was around 22 at a party and ended up trying to fight a billy goat, swearing I was re-enacting a the camel punch scene from Conan
RayRay
Beast Mode
Beast Mode

PSN ID: rayfiftytwo
Xbox Live: rayfiftytwo

Postby Jammer » August 24th, 2010, 3:56 pm

Last Tuesday night, ABC Family’s cheesy, throwback-y new sitcom Melissa & Joey debuted as the network’s biggest series debut in Adults 18-49, with 1.3 million in that age range tuning in to the decidedly nostalgic vibe of the show. The total viewership — a whopping 2.2 million viewers! — wasn’t shabby either, besting the viewership of shows across the cable and broadcast network spectrum. We’ll see how those numbers hold up — will people come back? — after tonight’s episode. In the meantime, EW got the chance to sit down with the show’s two stars, Melissa Joan Hart (hi, Clarissa…or Sabrina!) and Joey Lawrence (hi, Joey…or Joey!), to chat about how the show came together, what it’s all about, all that nostalgia, and which of their former sitcoms they’d reboot today if they had the choice.
ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: How’d it come together for you guys to do this show together?
MELISSA JOAN HART: The first time we got to work together was [the ABC Family original movie] My Fake Fiancé. Both of us just work together really well and from there we knew we wanted to spin-off and do something in television, and ABC Family agreed. We all came together and ABC family had the concept, we had characters we wanted to play.
So, wait, whose idea was it?
MELISSA: Well, ABC family had the same idea, basically. They were working on it from their end and we were like “oh we should do this.” They had the concept — we had the idea to keep going together.
JOEY: They asked if we would be interested in continuing the dynamic of the characters that we able to tap into it in the movie. We were open to it and then the discussion grew into larger talks and more talks and we talked to the writers and now here we are.
And it’s taped in front of a live studio audience?
MELISSA: It is, and we actually say in the beginning of the show. “This is taped in front of a live audience.” People miss it. I really think that there is this void in television. There are so few sitcoms. Everyone is trying to remake something else. I think that this one does have a little bit of Who’s the Boss? and some Friends humor, kind of Mad About You. We’re moving all the pieces around trying to get a good chemistry here and really make it click with the audience.
With shows like The Big Bang Theory and Hot in Cleveland, the traditional format is certainly enjoying buzz.
JOEY: I think that they thought that reality was going to supersede the half hour comedy, but with the success of Two and A Half Men and How I Met Your Mother, CBS never really left. The past few years I think that networks have realized maybe it really isn’t gone, I don’t think that it really is gone. I think there’s a definite home for it, it’s great.
MELISSA: So many people have their eyes on ABC Family and so many people of our demographics — 20s, 30s, and 40s — are all watching that channel.
JOEY: It’s not Disney Channel by any means. This is a prime-time show.
MELISSA: We were afraid of the title because we thought that people might think that this is a reality show. That’s not the case. We were afraid that people were going to think that it’s soft, that it’s going to be like a Disney Channel show and then they are going to let their 8-year-old tune in…where I’m in bed with a guy. And it’s like, “Oh, wait…”
ABC Family has been getting edgier and edgier.
JOEY: They have a younger demo than ABC does, and I think that the work they have done in the past two or three years has been amazing. They have had great shows and the ratings have been through the roof. ABC Family is a hot network.
There is a nostalgia factor for you guys, and ABC family works that really well. How does ABC family fit for you guys?
MELISSA: They do find that talent that was so popular a little bit ago, and they are able to bring it back. Like, look at [Make it or Break It star] Candice Cameron, totally an adult now with kids, and now she is coming back to television in a really classy way.
Like her, you guys were all from the same era of television.
MELISSA: It’s a time when sitcoms were hot and big and the thing to watch. We were all fans of it, like The Cosby Show and Mad About You. To be able to go and do it again, especially on a network that supports it and knows how to market it and promote it, I think it is an amazing fit.
I feel like the casting folks at the network must use a barometer that measures how much people say, “Aww, I love or I remember them,” about the people in their shows. You guys fall into that category for lots of fans.
JOEY: It makes sense to use people who have had success — they do it in features all the time. The people who have had success, well-known names, put them in projects that are great and people will tune back in because they will not only be interested in the project, but also the people who are in it. It’s like a no-brainer.
MELISSA: Lots of times, networks don’t want to pay for names. They want to find someone new, launch someone new, and pay very little for that.
JOEY: Some of my idols, all those guys come from TV. Michael Douglas, John Travolta, and Tom Hanks, they all came from that half hour of comedy. Jennifer Aniston, Robin Williams, the list goes on and on. I’m happy that they are getting back to it and it will be a platform if we want to do other things.
So, as for the concept of the show, Joe, you’re the “manny” who moves Melissa’s house?
JOEY: He is kind of the man of the house.
MELISSA: “Manny” is the easiest way to describe it. It’s actually hard to describe because we know it so well.
Is there chemistry bubbling? Or will something romantic happen eventually?
MELISSA: Maybe. But we are working with the network now on when that will happen.
JOEY: It’s the Bruce Willis-Cybil Shepard model. It is that Moonlighting thing.
MELISSA: It is like Kirstie Alley and Ted Danson in Cheers — like repulsion and attraction at the same time.
JOEY: It’s that push and pull. It’s that classic thing. You don’t want to re-invent that wheel, but we’ve tweaked it a little bit.
MELISSA: We think that when the characters do actually get together, that’s when the show will take another turn. In the first five episodes, I have two where I’m dating and there are two episodes where he’s dating.
JOEY: We’re trying to figure out the dynamic of our relationship. It is very unique in a weird way.
MELISSA: Right off the bat, I bring a boy home. He’s a bad boy, and he thinks that isn’t the type of guy I should be with. I’m telling my niece not to date bad boys and I’m dating one. My 16-year-old niece and I are kind of dating the same guy, and I’m telling her not to.
JOEY: He’s looking out for the kids.
MELISSA: They become a new kind of family, a modern-day family.
Should kids be watching this show?
JOEY: It is definitely PG-13.
MELISSA: I get kind of nervous when 10-year-olds are like, “I can’t wait to see your new show!” I’m like, “How old are you?” If anyone thinks they are going to tune in and see Sabrina or Blossom, it’s not that. It’s for our demographic — college, maybe a little bit of high school. It’s not quite as racy as Two and Half Men, but it’s up there.
Now for a little fun. Reboots are all the rage. Joey, if you had to choose between a Blossom or Gimme A Break! reboot, which would you pick?
JOEY: Blossom, honestly, because I think that it is still relevant today, and I think that Gimme A Break! was too long ago. I think that would have to be completely re-done. Blossom is about a girl coming of age, having to deal with growing up when her mother is leaving, with all boys in the house, trying to find the woman she is. That is a very timeless thing that could be updated very easily.
Now your turn, Melissa. If you had to choose between a Clarissa Explains it All or Sabrina the Teenage Witch reboot, which would you pick?
MELISSA: I think that there is another version of Sabrina out right now called Wizards of Waverly Place. I think that the witch shows are always kind of regenerating. You have some flavors of Clarissa today, too, like iCarly, but what I liked about Clarissa was the amazing writing, the straight-to-camera monologues, breaking the fourth wall, and the animation on screen, which looked so hi-tech back then.
Jammer
Beast Mode
Beast Mode

PSN ID: sjam613
Xbox Live: sjam613

Postby lotus » August 24th, 2010, 5:03 pm

So....basically they're openly admitting that they are desperately clinging to the coat tails of stars who came before them and begging not to be identified as "Disney".

Holy hell I will never be watching this shite, and I hope that the creators of it are stricken with genital warts.

"Tailgate365.com: The Site For Teachers doing stupid things, owl kicking, packing peanuts, Joe Bonamassa, movie soundtracks, free speech, urination warnings, and now child furniture assembly advice."
lotus
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby RayRay » August 24th, 2010, 7:06 pm

By the number of times he says how hot ABC Family is...it has to be a great network I've watched all of the episodes so far
when I was around 22 at a party and ended up trying to fight a billy goat, swearing I was re-enacting a the camel punch scene from Conan
RayRay
Beast Mode
Beast Mode

Postby Texas Pete » August 31st, 2010, 8:19 pm

Well, Ive lost my bet. Theyve made it past 3 episodes.
Texas Pete
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby RayRay » September 1st, 2010, 7:59 am

Texas Pete wrote:Well, Ive lost my bet. Theyve made it past 3 episodes.

Winner!
RayRay
Beast Mode
Beast Mode

Postby RayRay » October 6th, 2010, 1:37 pm

Yes it's still on.
RayRay
Beast Mode
Beast Mode

Postby miketheknife » October 6th, 2010, 5:51 pm

I think that means no one wins.
miketheknife
TG Supporter
TG Supporter

Postby RayRay » October 7th, 2010, 8:07 am

miketheknife wrote:I think that means no one wins.

I haven't missed an episode. I don't know why I watch this show but I do.
RayRay
Beast Mode
Beast Mode

Postby Jammer » October 7th, 2010, 8:56 am

Lee wrote:

Is Clarissa the Teenage Witch at least hot?
Jammer
Beast Mode
Beast Mode

PSN ID: sjam613
Xbox Live: sjam613

Postby rabb » October 7th, 2010, 8:59 am

Steve wrote:
Lee wrote:

Sabrina
rabb
Beast Mode
Beast Mode

PSN ID: omgitsrabb
Xbox Live: rabbmast3rflash

Postby YEM » October 7th, 2010, 10:29 am

Mike wrote:
Steve wrote:
Lee wrote:

Sabrina

Maybe it's a mash up of the two shows?
YEM
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Xbox Live: xYEMx

Postby fuzz_e_bizkitz » October 7th, 2010, 5:14 pm

YEM wrote:
Mike wrote:
Steve wrote:
Lee wrote:

Sabrina

Maybe it's a mash up of the two shows?

Sabrina explains it all?
fuzz_e_bizkitz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

PSN ID: FuZZ_E_BiZkitZ
Xbox Live: FuZZ E BiZkitZ

PreviousNext

Return to Movies and TV