Dead Island

Gamers unite! Gaming talk goes here, arrange games and talk about the latest releases.

Re: Dead Island

Postby fuzz_e_bizkitz » February 17th, 2011, 4:23 pm

RayRay wrote:Yeah ok parents should not watch that. Wow.

Very True.

F U Curiosity!
fuzz_e_bizkitz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

PSN ID: FuZZ_E_BiZkitZ
Xbox Live: FuZZ E BiZkitZ

Postby YEM » February 18th, 2011, 11:29 am

Imagine Borderlands set on the Just Cause 2 island with the Left 4 Dead style of zombies, featuring a quest system similar to Fallout 3 and the weapons system of Dead Rising 2. Blend all of that together, and you get Dead Island; or, as Deep Silver likes to refer to it, a "first-person zombie slasher action RPG."

First Impressions

YEM
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Xbox Live: xYEMx

Postby Wrekcut » February 18th, 2011, 11:32 am

thats quite a combination of games. I hope it turns out as well as it sounds. Especially with what seems like a lot of zombie games lately.
Wrekcut
TG Supporter
TG Supporter

PSN ID: Wrekcut
Xbox Live: Wrekcut

Postby rabb » February 18th, 2011, 11:44 am

wow
rabb
Beast Mode
Beast Mode

PSN ID: omgitsrabb
Xbox Live: rabbmast3rflash

Postby YEM » February 18th, 2011, 12:07 pm

Yeah, this game has potential
YEM
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby JohnnyHustler » February 18th, 2011, 12:56 pm

The first thing I want to say is that I really never got into the Zombie genre.

The next thing I want to say is WOW! That may have jumped into my must buy list of 2011.
JohnnyHustler
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

PSN ID: JohnnyBigRed
Xbox Live: JohnnyHustler

Postby lotus » February 20th, 2011, 12:47 pm

I'm going to wait to see how this one goes first. Sounds like they're trying to be everything to everyone, which usually isn't a good thing.

"Tailgate365.com: The Site For Teachers doing stupid things, owl kicking, packing peanuts, Joe Bonamassa, movie soundtracks, free speech, urination warnings, and now child furniture assembly advice."
lotus
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby YEM » February 20th, 2011, 1:52 pm

lotus wrote:I'm going to wait to see how this one goes first. Sounds like they're trying to be everything to everyone, which usually isn't a good thing.

I don't see that. I see them trying to combine the best parts of other games/genres to make their own (potentially) awesome game
YEM
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby rabb » February 20th, 2011, 4:13 pm

YEM wrote:
lotus wrote:I'm going to wait to see how this one goes first. Sounds like they're trying to be everything to everyone, which usually isn't a good thing.

I don't see that. I see them trying to combine the best parts of other games/genres to make their own (potentially) awesome game

that's basically what he just said
rabb
Beast Mode
Beast Mode

Postby YEM » February 20th, 2011, 6:09 pm

I didn't think so. I took his post as him saying they are just taking a bunch of popular games and slapping it together to "be everything to everyone"
Every game out there takes what works in other games and tries to implant it in their games. Regenerating health, cover system, and things like Horde/firefight. Just because they are taking stuff from other games, doesn't mean they are trying to be all those games

I look at it as taking what works best and trying to make the best possible game. It's not "everything for everyone" It's a specific thing (a zombie game)for a specific group of gamers.
There isn't much in the way of zombie games. You have the sit and defend horde style' W@W/BO zombies and the 'run from place to place while trying to survive from swarms of zombies' left 4 dead action. This game is potentially so much more in a severely lacking genre
YEM
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby rabb » February 20th, 2011, 6:14 pm

the way I took what he said was, they are trying to take the best elements from a bunch of popular games and mix them together...obviously it's their own game

I do agree it could be different and pretty kick ass if done right, but I am in the camp that trying to do a bunch of pretty complex and different things right is a whooooole lot different than being fantastic at 1 or 2

we will see, it certainly looks awesome but I can see the "bit off more than they can chew" thing also
rabb
Beast Mode
Beast Mode

Postby YEM » February 20th, 2011, 6:24 pm

Yeah, it definitely sounds good on paper.... how that translates to an actual game, we'll just have to wait and see.

Though unless this game scores low, Iike a 5-6, I still see myself buying this
YEM
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby lotus » February 20th, 2011, 6:58 pm

I don't think the genre is lacking. Left 4 Dead, Dead Rising, Resident Evil, plus half a dozen or so Arcade/Indie titles. My fear isn't about combining features from different games, but rather trying to mash together genres that don't play well together. Is it an RPG, FPS, other?

Most successful franchises pick one and run with it instead of trying to incorporate a little of everything. It's like finding clothes that fit me. While they might call it "Big and Tall", what they really mean is Big OR Tall, not both. Apparently I'm just being too demanding.

"Tailgate365.com: The Site For Teachers doing stupid things, owl kicking, packing peanuts, Joe Bonamassa, movie soundtracks, free speech, urination warnings, and now child furniture assembly advice."
lotus
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

RE: Dead Island

Postby rabb » February 20th, 2011, 7:00 pm

If its half as good as that trailer, I'll buy it
rabb
Beast Mode
Beast Mode

Postby lotus » February 20th, 2011, 7:03 pm

Hopefully they'll release a demo. I rarely lay down the coin before giving it a trial run.

lotus
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to The Arcade